Cause of Deadly Buckingham Ave Fire Announced

Syracuse, N.Y. - A fatal fire last month on Buckingham Avenue was accidentally started by smoking materials left on a front porch on the second floor. That according to the Syracuse Fire Department.

The early morning house fire left Beth Ann Newkirk, a SUNY College of ESForestry student dead and critically injured her roommate.

Fire crews fought through smoke and flames to get to Newkirk and found her and her roomate unresponsive. At one time during the blaze a mayday was declared as search teams were trapped by the fire and had to be rescued from a send story roof.

title

Content Goes Here