Syracuse, N.Y. - As the winter weather returns to Central New York in full force the folks at AAA remind you of some basic winter rules when driving in the white stuff.
Always give yourself extra time to get to where you are going. Make sure your battery is in good condition and that windshield wipers are as well.
In areas where you get heavy snow, installing snow tires on all four wheels will give you the best traction. All-Season tires work well in light to moederate snow provided they have adequate tread depth.
AAA also suggests you keep a emergency kit in your car and offers the following suggestions on what to have in that kit.
Emergency Road Kit :
- Mobile phone pre-programmed with rescue apps and important phone numbers, including emergency services and family members
- Car charger for the mobile phone
- Drinking water
- First-aid kit
- Non-perishable snacks for both human and pet passengers
- Bag of abrasive material (sand, salt, cat litter) or traction mats
- Snow shovel
- Extra warm clothing (gloves, hats, scarves)
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Winter window washer solvent
- Ice scraper with brush
- Cloths or roll of paper towels
- Jumper cables
- Warning devices (flares or triangles)
- Basic toolkit (screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench)