A speeding driver led state police on a chase through Syracuse city streets early Thursday morning before he was arrested.
Troopers attempted to stop an SUV driven by Jacob Mekete (Meh-KEET) of Syracuse around 1-45 am for driving 85 in a 55 zone on Route 690 near Thompson Road. Mekete instead continued to drive on 690 and exited at Teall, where he led police a chase on several streets. Mekete turned off his lights to elude patrols but struck two parked vehicles on Pleasantview Avenue. Mekete was quickly apprehended after an attempt to flee on foot.
Mekete was charged with the following:
- Unlawfully Fleeing a Police Officer in a Motor Vehicle 3rd degree (class “A” misdemeanor)
- Unlawful Possession of Marihuana (violation), Reckless Driving (unclassified misdemeanor)
- Criminal Mischief 4th degree (class “A” misdemeanor)
- Obstruction of Governmental Administration 2nd degree (class “A” misdemeanor)
- Leaving the scene of a property damage auto accident in the Town of Salina.
Mekete was taken to the Justice Center to await arraignment.