Onondaga County Health Dept has announced that a mosquito trap located at East Taft Road in the Cicero Swamp area in the town of Cicero has tested positive for "Triple E ".
Triple EEE is a rare disease caused by a virus spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. Onondaga is making preparations to conduct aerial spraying possible as early as next week. The timing of the spraying will be determined by weather conditions and other factors and will be announced.
In Oswego County, the County Health Dept has also announced the discovery of Triple E in two pools at Toad Harbor Swamp in the town West Monroe.
It is extremely important that you use personal protection measures to help reduce their risk of being bitten by a mosquito. It is also important to reduce breeding areas for mosquitoes around your home:
• Throw away outdoor containers, ceramic pots or containers that hold water
• Remove all tires from your property
• Drill holes in the bottoms of recycling containers that are kept outdoors
• Clean clogged rain gutters and make sure they continue to work properly
• Turn over wheelbarrows and wading pools when not in use
• Change water in bird baths at least every four days
• Clear vegetation and debris from the edges of ponds
• Clean chlorinated swimming pools, outdoor saunas, and hot tubs
• Drain water from pool covers
• Use landscaping to eliminate low spots where standing water accumulates.
More information can be found here. www.ongov.net/health/mosquito