On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at approximately 1:58am, Troopers from SP Elbridge responded to the vicinity of Brown Street in the Village of Elbridge and were attempting to locate a stolen vehicle operated by a 14-year-old male with a 13-year-old, passenger. Troopers located the vehicle on State Route 5 and attempted to stop it. The vehicle started to comply but then accelerated. The pursuit continued for approximately 3 miles, and lasted approximately 3 minutes. The pursuit ended when OnStar successfully disabled the vehicle. The juvenile operator refused to exit the vehicle, at which point the Trooper had to forcibly extricate him from the vehicle where he continued to resist arrest. After a brief struggle, the juvenile was taken into custody. The 14-year-old driver, from Syracuse, NY was arrested and charged with the following:
- Assault 2nd degree, class “D” felony
- Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle 1st degree, a class “D” felony
- Criminal Possession of Stolen Property 3rd degree, a class “D” felony
- Resisting Arrest, a class “A” misdemeanor
- Fleeing a Police Officer in a Motor Vehicle, a class “A” misdemeanor
- Reckless Driving, an unclassified misdemeanor
The 13-year-old passenger was arrested and charged with Assault 2nd degree, class “D” felony and Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle 1st degree, a class “D” felony. Both juveniles were issued a Family Court Appearance Ticket and released to their legal guardian.