St. Joseph's Health says a dog is a heart patient's best friend.
According to Dr. Russell Silverman, Medical Director of St. Joe's Physicians Cardiology Services, there's strong evidence that dogs can:
- Aid in lower blood pressure, reduced cholesterol, and decreased triglyceride levels
- A lower risk of cardiovascular disease and "all-cause mortality"
- As much as a 33% lower risk of death and 11% lower chances of a heart attack
- Higher survival rate following a heart attack
- Higher level of physical activity and lower body rate
- Lower level of stress
- Improved socialization and emotional well-being
- Stronger immune systems and longer lifespan
And since February is National Heart Month, St. Joe's wants the community to take advantage of these heart-friendly benefits provided by dogs. All this month, St. Joe's will pay the adoption fee for any dog adopted at the CNYSPCA and at Humane CNY.