Syracuse, N.Y. - The Syracuse Fire Department has been very busy....in the past 24 hours, they have answered 78 emergency calls. Two of those structure fires.
Yesterday morning they were called to an apartment fire on Oak Street. When crews got there they found heavy smoke on the third floor. After forcing entry, and in zero visibility they quickly located an unconscious man on the floor. The victim was rushed to hospital. The cause seems to have been unattended cooking
Then this morning firefighters responded to apartment fire on Thurgood Terrace. Firefighters quickly determined everyone had made it out prior to the fire department’s arrival due to working smoke detectors. It took 15 minutes to put out the blaze and damage to the apartment was significant. One occupant, an adult female, was treated at the scene for minor injuries. No word on cause