Cicero, N. Y. - The Onondaga County Health department has scheduled aerial spraying to take place this Sunday. This is a response to positive findings for EEE in the area.
The spraying of the Cicero Swamp and the immediate surrounding areas will take place on Sunday after 7:00 pm, weather permitting. If weather or wind conditions are unfavorable on Sunday, spraying will be scheduled for the next appropriate day.
The designated spray areas are generally bounded on the north by Route 31, on the west by Northern Boulevard, on the south by Taft Road, and on the east by the county line (Chittenango Creek). Roads included in this area are: all or parts of Route 298, Bull Street, Eastwood Road, Island Road, Cicero Center Road, Fergerson Road, Ferstler Road, and Oxbow Road.
To view a map of the spraying area, visit: www.ongov.net/health/documents/SprayMapCicero.pdf
The pesticide that will be used for aerial spraying is Kontrol 30-30. It is registered with EPA and the New York State Division of Environmental Conservation for this use.
You can find out more about the pesticide at www.ongov.net/health/documents/MasterLineKontrol30-30label.pdf.
If you live in the spray area, from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm on Sunday you should take the following precautions:
- Stay indoors and keep your windows closed for one hour after the area has been sprayed.
- Keep your pets indoors if possible.
- Set your window air conditioners to circulate indoor air. It is safe to use your central air conditioning.
- Keep outdoor gardens covered and rinse vegetables before eating.
- Be sure children’s toys, outdoor furniture, and clothes on outdoor clotheslines are brought inside. If toys or clothes are left outdoors, wash each thoroughly with soap and water before using and launder clothes before wearing.
- Close your car windows and car vents if you are driving during the spraying.
For more information about spraying and protecting yourself from mosquitoes, visit www.ongov.net/health/mosquitoborne.html or call the Onondaga County Health Department at 315-435-1649.
(Map provided by Onondaga County Health Dept)