A luxury home for sale in pompey has been destroyed by a flash fire which broke out just a couple of hours after  "open house" showings.

the newly built 5 bedroom house on gates road had a price tag of $339 thousand dollars. It went up in flames just after the end of a day long viewing session.

investigators believe the blaze was caused by a malfunction in the fireplace that was fueled by propane.

Pompey Hill Fire Chief Timothy Chrysler is not sure if that fireplace was "on" during the open house.